National Organization for Women
National Organization for Women
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of the organization shall be the Central Phoenix/Inez Casiano Chapter of NOW.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
NOW’s purpose is to take action through intersectional grassroots activism to promote feminist ideals, lead societal change, eliminate discrimination, and achieve and protect the equal rights of all women and girls in all aspects of social, political, and economic life.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
Any person who subscribes to its purpose and who is a member of National NOW may, upon payment of dues, be a member of the Central Phoenix /Inez Casiano Chapter of NOW with all rights, privileges, and responsibilities thereof. All members of subunits of NOW must be members of the national organization. No person who subscribes to NOW’s purpose shall be excluded from membership, segregated, or otherwise discriminated against within the organization.
ARTICLE IV. POLICY
The Chapter shall be bound by the National NOW bylaws and policy.
ARTICLE V. MEETINGS
The Chapter shall hold at least eight (8) membership meetings each year. One of these meetings, designated the annual meeting, shall be the meeting at which election of officers shall take place. Additional rules regarding the number and types of meetings shall be contained in the operating rules of the Chapter.
ARTICLE VI. DUES
Dues and specifics relating thereto shall be set forth in the operating rules of the Chapter.
The fiscal year shall be January 1 to December 31.
ARTICLE VII. OFFICERS/BOARD
The officers shall be a President and a Treasurer and such other offices as may be determined by the operating rules. The composition and duties of the Board of Directors, if any, shall be specified in the operating rules of the Chapter.
The officers and board shall be elected at the annual meeting. The time and date of the annual meeting shall be set forth in the operating rules of Chapter.
ARTICLE VIII. COMMITTEES
Type of committees, their purpose, leadership, and membership shall be determined by the operating rules of the Chapter.
ARTICLE IX. NOMINATIONS
The nominating procedure shall be determined by the operating rules of the Chapter.
ARTICLE X. ELECTIONS
Officers and board members must be elected by a majority vote or a majority of preferences counted in the final tally, if preferential voting is used. All members of the Chapter are eligible to vote and must be notified of the election by the procedure prescribed in the operating rules of the Chapter. Other specific provisions relative to elections are detailed in the operating rules of the Chapter.
ARTICLE XI. DELEGATES TO NATIONAL CONFERENCES
Delegates and alternatives to the national conferences shall be elected in the number, manner, and timing determined by the national bylaws and National Credentials Committee. All Chapter members must be notified 30 days in advance of this election.
Further procedures for the election of delegates and alternates shall be detailed in the operating rules of the Chapter.
ARTICLE XII. GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
There must be a grievance procedure specified in the operating rules of the Chapter.
ARTICLE XIII. OPERATING RULES OF THE CHAPTER
There shall be a set of operating rules for the Chapter which must detail the items referred to in these bylaws and may contain any other operating rules the Chapter wishes. The operating rules must be accepted by a 2/3 vote of the Chapter members present and voting must provide a method for amending the rules to give the membership written notice of an intended change and require a 2/3 vote of the membership present and voting.
ARTICLE XIV. AMENDMENTS
These bylaws may be amended by a 2/3 vote at any meeting of the Chapter providing:
- Proposed amendment has been submitted to the president 60 days in advance of the meeting.
- The proposed amendment has been mailed to the members 30 days in advance of the meeting or published in an every member publication 30 days in advance of the meeting.
ARTICLE XV. DISSOLUTION
The Chapter may be dissolved upon a 2/3 vote of its members present and voting. Upon dissolution of the Chapter, the board and officers shall, after paying or making provisions for payment of all liabilities of the Chapter, remit all remaining assets to the state NOW organization, National NOW, or any local unit of NOW.
Operating Rules for Central Phoenix/Inez Casiano NOW
Chapter meetings shall be held at least eight (8) times a year, at such dates, times, and places as determined by the chapter board. Any number present shall constitute a quorum, except for the annual meeting at which a quorum shall consist of at least 10% of the actual chapter membership. Only members may make motions and vote on said motions.
New members’ dues shall be $40. Reduced dues are available on a sliding scale from $15 to $34. Renewing members’ dues shall be the same.
III. Officers and Board
- The officers and their duties shall be:
- The President, who shall be the principal spokesperson and administrator of the chapter and manage the day-to-day affairs of the chapter between board and chapter meetings. The President shall preside at all board and chapter meetings.
- The Vice-President, who shall assist the President and chair meetings in the absence of the President.
- The Secretary, who shall take and keep the minutes of both board and chapter meetings and attend to general chapter correspondence.
- The Treasurer, who shall receive all funds of the chapter and shall deposit them in such bank as may be designated by the board, and who shall disburse the funds by check in accordance with the budget or vote of the membership, and who shall make written reports to the board and membership.
- These officers shall constitute the board. The board shall meet at least 4 times a year. The president or a majority of the board may call board meetings.
- Vacancies. In the event of a vacancy in the office of president, the vice- president shall assume the office of president. Vacancies in other elected positions shall be filled by appointment by the board as soon as possible after the vacancy occurs.
- Qualifications and terms of office.
- All officers shall have been members of NOW for six (6) months prior to election. Each officer shall serve a two-year term, and no officer may serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
No person may hold two offices concurrently.
- Officer’s terms shall begin on the first day of the month following the meeting at which they are elected and shall run through the last day of the two-year period.
- Any person who is appointed to fill a vacancy or who assumes the office of president due to a vacancy, and officers elected shall be eligible to serve two full consecutive terms in their office.
The Board shall have the power to appoint committees for specific purposes and dissolve them when those purposes have been fulfilled. Chairs of said committees shall be members of the chapter and shall be appointed by the board.
The chapter board shall approve an election committee at least 90 days prior to the annual meeting. The election committee shall solicit nominations for officers from the entire membership at least 60 days prior to the annual meeting. At least 30 days before the annual meeting, the names of those persons who have been nominated shall be mailed to each chapter member with a notice or the date, time, and place of the annual meeting. Nominations may also be received from the floor at the annual meeting.
- The election of officers shall take place at an annual meeting, which shall be held in January of each year.
- Elections shall be conducted by the Elections Committee. Preferential balloting shall be used if more than two persons are running for the same office.
VII. Affirmative Action and Diversity Outreach
- The chapter shall remain aware of the current demographic information about the region they are located in. The chapter shall set membership, participation and leadership goals consistent with the demographics of each group.
- The chapter shall urge diverse membership in the organization and shall reach out to existing groups of said diverse persons through all public relations and social media actions.
- The chapter shall model inclusion of all people’s including but not limited to sex, race, color, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, nationality, citizenship, age, marital status and socioeconomic status.
VIII. Delegates to National Conference
- Any member of the chapter who qualifies for election as a delegate/alternate to the National Conference shall be eligible to run for election. If the chapter is
unable to fill all of its allotted delegate and alternate slots with chapter members, any eligible member of NOW may be elected.
- All chapter members are eligible to vote. There shall be separate ballots for delegate and alternate. Each member may cast as many ballots as there are delegate and alternate slots to be filled.
- Notice of the election of delegates and alternates shall be given as far in advance as possible. All nominations shall be from the floor. The president shall appoint at least two non-candidates to conduct nominations and elections.
- Grievance Procedure
In the event of a grievance, each side to the controversy will designate one arbitrator and these two arbitrators will select a third arbitrator. Any person who has a conflict of interest may not serve as an arbitrator. The arbitrators will conduct a private hearing on the matter at which both sides to the controversy may present their case. The arbitrators shall endeavor to resolve disputes to the mutual satisfaction of the parties. Should they fail to resolve the controversy, the matter may be referred to the state NOW.
- Amendments to Operating Rules
- These operating rules may be amended provided that such amendments are proposed by the board or by any five (5) chapter members. Written notice of proposed amendments must be given to all chapter members at least 30 days before the meeting at which the proposed amendment is to be voted on.
- Amendments to these Operating Rules must be approved by 2/3 of those members present and voting.
Date of Adoption: _________________